Best ZMA Supplements Reviewed and Tested
ZMA is one of those things that contain elements that are very important for you and your body that you might not be aware of. It is also one of those things which you probably never heard of. ZMA, the term, is not very common in everyday talk, let alone in the gym. For avid bodybuilders, however, it can be a performance changing product that might revolutionize your workout.
Our Top 3 ZMA Picks
What is ZMA?
The abbreviation of letters might not look too common for those not very familiar with supplements, nutrition term or anything other than whey protein. But when the letters are separated, the words become a little more common-nature and you might have that “ah-ha!” moment. To explain better and more thoroughly, ZMA is composed of zinc (monomethionine aspartate), magnesium (aspartate) and a flush of vitamin B6.
If those words just scared you and you have absolutely no idea what I just said, it is basically composed of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B. Are those terms better? When we bare the components down to just these three elements, it seems like a pretty simple concept to comprehend.
Chances are, if you are part of the majority of the population, you probably are not getting enough of any of these elements in your regular, day-to-day diet. USDA research has shown us that 70% of us (Americans) are not getting enough zinc on a regular basis and 40% of us aren’t getting enough of the magnesium that we need for our bodies to optimally function.
What do you do?
Now that you have simply been made aware of what’s (not) going on in your body, your natural instinct would be to fix the “imbalance” so that you can get the best out of your body. For instance, one way to put in what you need is by taking three different separate supplements. This, of course, might mean that you would be spending the majority of breakfast shoving thirty different pills down your throat. If that doesn’t sound appealing, here’s what you need:
You can eliminate the hassle (and money spent) that comes with taking three separate pills and join them all in this one easy supplement called ZMA. What’s also important in these separate supplements joined together is the ratio of these three. When you are taking them separately, the task of getting the correct amount of what your body needs is extremely successful and might merit several trips to the doctors, to the nutritionist, to a personal trainer.
Instead of feeding into the stress, ZMA offers the one way ticket to optimal performance, all rounded off in one pill. Of course, it differs per body type, but in general, you should be taken 11 mg of vitamin B6, 30 mg of zinc and 450 mg of magnesium. Combined in the perfect formula, it is already portioned like this in ZMA.
A big and main group of people that are usually in search of this supplement are athletes and bodybuilders. This supplement is a perfect fit for you when you want to optimize your athlete performance and give yourself that extra drive and push you need that will help you recover and build your muscle the way you want it. Key note, however: you don’t have to live that lifestyle to start taking this supplement!
The three components that are made in ZMA are important for your body anyways, so truly, you do not have to be an athlete or bodybuilder to take this. You just have to have an apt for working out, and not afraid of a little testosterone. Here are some of the great things that each of the components in this supplement do for your body:
- Zinc in itself is an adequate replenishment for sweat lost during a workout. We all need this when we are working out hard and losing electrolytes. This also helps your body on a molecular level in which it boosts and encourages protein synthesis and cell growth.
- Magnesium, among the many other things that it does, improves bone strength and your immune system. This is extremely important in not only athletes, but gym-goers that need that health to keep up with their regular workout regimen. It is also beneficial just for someone that needs a bit more strength or energy during the day for work. Magnesium is also an essential component used and needed in muscle contractions (hence why it is fantastic for athletes), and is great for our nervous systems.
- Vitamin B6 is responsible for converting the protein that goes into your body into energy that you use on a regular basis. Though our body does most of these jobs on its own, its important to have the knowledge to realize what our body is doing with what we put into it. When we put more vitamin B6 into our cells, we know that it is doing its job by giving us more energy from the protein we already have ingested. This is also a great reminder that supplements are not sufficient by themselves! If we haven’t paired with protein (from diet or from supplement) there would be no protein to synthesize INTO energy!
ZMA is also a testosterone booster, which means more gains in muscular definition and bulk. This is extremely important for bodybuilders, athletes, and those simply looking for a stronger body. ZMA also decreases the time needed for the muscles to recover from lifting. Though rest is extremely important for your workout regimen, ZMA helps move the process along quicker and more effectively, so you can get back into the gym when you want to rather than when you are no longer sore.
If we have you convinced that ZMA is a product and supplement that you want to add to your diet to complement your workout routine, we are also here to help you choose the best product.
Best ZMA Supplements Reviewed
Below, we have put together a list of the most viable, the cheapest and the best ZMA supplements on the market today.
1. Optimum Nutrition ZMA, 180 Capsules
- 180 capsules
- Promotes muscle repair
- Increases endurance
- The user might be sensitive to some of the active ingredients
2. NOW Foods Zma, 90 Capsules
- Great for the immune system
- Balances your electrolytes
- Not suitable for vegetarians
3. Primaforce ZMA, 180 Vegetarian Capsules
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Promotes better sleep
- Big capsules
4. Tribulus + ZMA® 1000mg x 180 Caps, 95% Steroidal Saponins, 80% Protodioscin Combined w/ ZMA
- 180 capsules
- Plant based
- Energy booster
- Somewhat expensive
5. Fast Muscle Growth with ZMA Muscle Q3
- Boosts your immune system
- Aids with muscle recovery
- Small pills
- 60 capsules instead of 90
6. Twinlab Zma Fuel Capsules, 90 Count
- Promotes hormone production
- Great for muscle strength and gain
- Quality mineral combination
- More suitable for men than women
7. AllMax Nutrition ZMA Capsules
- Testosterone boost
- Improves Sleep
- Quality Ingredients
8. Universal Nutrition ZMA Pro - 90 Capsules
- Restful sleep
- High-quality formula
- Mineral support
- Not suitable for vegetarians
9. True Athlete ZMA with Theanine 90 Capsules
- Improves your sleep
- Stress recovery
- Great for performance
- Not recommended for those who are sensitive to theanine
10. MET-Rx ZMA, 90 count
This particular product by MET-Rx also helps you feel better and sleep better.
- Energy booster
- Better sleep
- Great muscle recovery
- Bigger pills
We hope this list of best ZMA supplements, our top 10 reviewed for 2016, has helped you decide which product supplement is best for your needs and your workout regimen. We hope it helps you on your way to achieving the best body and the best you that you can achieve! And we also hope that you check out our other top ten lists in regards to getting the most out of your workout. Maybe one of these supplements on our website can help give you the extra push you’ve been missing.